The Adoption Process is a True Walk of Faith
Adoption is a step of faith. In our journey from childhood to adolescence to adulthood, we encounter difficulties that reshape us every day. As we face each obstacle, we begin to truly understand God’s love for us. Most people considering becoming adoptive parents face challenges during the adoption process that can only be overcome through a strong belief in their faith in God.
The Bible teaches us that through trials and tribulation our faith grows. We understand that without such turmoil, we would not realize our need of God.
Disappointments are part of everyday life, and God uses them to develop His plan for us as Christians. The adoption process contains disappointments along the way. God never promised us that life would be perfect, but He did promise that He would always be with us. This promise alone should provide us with inner peace and strength when we face hardships. As Christians, we depend on Him to be with us through all our ups and downs.
Perhaps the baby you have been eagerly awaiting is adopted into another family, or the mother decides to parent her child. How should you respond to this disappointment?
- Accept what you cannot change.
- Believe God has a purpose in it.
- Pray for direction and understanding.
- Rejoice in knowing God’s plan will succeed in the end.
When you realize that God’s plan for you is perfect, you can see the true purpose of your life. The obstacles you face become less troubling and your life unfolds according to His plan and His timetable. You can take comfort with each passing day, understanding that time brings you closer to the realization of your dream to be an adoptive parent. The right child is arriving just for you because God is working on your behalf.
Many people who pursue adoption understand that they will have obstacles to overcome from the early stages of the process. God will give you discernment to help you find just the right adoption professional, attorney or adoption facilitator who will follow His principles. They will join you in your faith journey and help you succeed. Having a Christian adoption professional with a proven track record will help you have peace as you move closer to your child through the adoption process.
Prayer is a key factor in the relationship between God and man. Dedicated prayer time will help you feel comfort, peace, and victory. In your prayer time you can voice your disappointment and frustration on to the Lord. And, you will give Him praise and thanksgiving for every advance you make in your adoption journey. “Draw close to God, and God will draw close to you.” (James 4:8 NLT) God’s Word promises that He will never leave or forsake us as we seek Him.
The Word of God is our most powerful resource, building our faith and trust in God’s desire and ability to break the power of sadness, depression, and defeat. In our moments of despair we learn to call upon Him and trust Him.
“The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of whom shall I be afraid?” (Psalm 27:1 NIV)
You have nothing to fear during the adoption process, and you should never allow fear to overrule you.
Every day walk in faith and believe! Place all of your frustrations in the Lord’s hands. Let Him replace your disappointment with joy. Know that He hears your cries and trust Him to help you be all He intends you to be – the perfect parents for the child He is bringing into your life.
- Mardie Caldwell, C.O.A.P., is a nationally recognized authority on adoption. A Certiﬁed Open Adoption Practitioner, Caldwell is the founder of Lifetime Adoption Center, LLC., established in 1986. Caldwell has assisted in over 1,800 successful adoptions. She was one of the ﬁrst adoption professionals on the Internet.
- Caldwell’s life work has been dedicated to educating and helping birth parents and adoptive parents through teaching, speaking, and resources and as a radio talk show host.
- Author of a number of award-winning books, Caldwell has more than 150 media credits to her name, including: Larry King Live, ABC News, NBC’s The Today Show, CNN Headline News, CNN’s The Campbell Brown Show, CBS News, NBC News, KGO Newstalk Radio, CNN’s Black in America II, MSNBC, Fox, PBS, BBC, Dr. Laura, and is widely sought for print articles and speaking engagements.